Skip to main content

The Power of Words

Day 250

Reading: Matthew 25:1 - Matthew 28:20

Words are powerful. Ever been to a court of law? When the judge gives a ruling its given in verbatim and written format. When one is marrying vows consisting of words are made. Sign language is an expression of words using signs to convey the words being spoken. Science tells us that women speak more words than men.  Solomon declared that one is satisfied by the fruit of their mouth Proverbs 18:20.  Jesus understood the power of words. He understood that words have an impact. Words are what either make you or condemn you. Jesus declared that by your words you will be justified or condemned Matthew 12:37. 

Thrice Jesus declared the process of His death and resurrection. I find it interesting that Matthew in writing this gospel noted this. Matthew wanted to convey to us the importance and power of words. He desired that we understood the power of words in shaping our lives. Here was the Messiah provoking the disciples with an outrageous thought that Jesus whom they were following would be taken away from them, mistreated, beaten, die and then rise from the grave. Everything Jesus was saying was not just unheard off but also out of this world. Even though He gave them hope by declaring that He would rise they couldn't perceive it. Jesus was declaring that He would do something different that would alter their lives forever. No one had ever said he would die and rise again. Here was the Miracle Worker telling them something completely out of this world. Peter even rebuked Jesus for this yet Jesus knew the plan of God.

As I came to a close of the Book of Matthew I asked myself what is the power of words? How do I manifest power in my words? If I am a child of God then my words should have a similar effect to that of Jesus. He came to fulfil the Law and provide a divine life for you and me. A few thoughts that came to me as I thought more on the power of words.
  • Speak God's mind. Unless you know God's Word your words will not be anywhere near that which is of God. Study the Word to know the Word to speak. Life is an exam and the answer you give shows what or whom you have studied. Isaiah 53 was a prophetic indicator of some of the things Jesus would pass through. God desires to restore to you and me His pure language Zephaniah 3:9.
  • Understand the power of meditation. Joshua was instructed to study, to do and to meditate on the Word of God if success was his desire. Meditation in the Word has a similar effect to how we soak clothes that are soiled badly. Let the abundance of your heart be the Word and you will speak with heaven's backing.
  • Prayer. Jesus came from the place of prayer always. He chose the disciples after prayer not a team meeting to discuss the way forward. Jesus walked on water after prayer. Remember He spoke to Peter commanding Peter to come to him and thus walk on water. Prayer generates authority.
  • Speak in faith. No one had ever said they would die and rise again. Jesus said it and it came to pass. Jesus died, was buried in a tomb and rose on the 3rd day. Speaking in the faith gives on boldness to declare the Word. 
  • Fear not! Unless you can see what you are saying coming to pass fear will stop you from saying the promises that God has released over your life. Divine biblical insight gives one the strength to speak with foresight. Insight gives you the spectacles to wear to see as God sees generating faith causing fear to flee! 
For years I struggled with a medical condition. I went for prayer at every healing crusade I could get to. One day in desperation I asked God what I needed to do to overcome this barrier. My life was in a cell called the sickly and diseased for life. I had to break out. As I meditated on the Word I began to speak my healing. I refused to see myself by the condition as prescribed by the doctor. I described myself by the Word of God. My family knew only God could come through for me. Some battles in life you must be left alone to wrestle your blessing like Jacob was left alone Genesis 32:24.  Anyone who referred me by that condition I cut off.  I stopped taking the medication when it dawned on me that I cannot have what Jesus had taken. Did I have the condition a few times after that? Oh yes, I did; guess the devil was trying to shake my faith, however, today its nowhere near me. As I read about the resurrection of Jesus I was reminded to keep speaking the Word, it will come to pass. Death and life are in the power of your words Proverbs 18:21. Understand that you are either speaking life or death. I choose to speak life for God is a life-giver! Words created the world, speak the right words to create the world you desire. Look for scriptures that align with your current challenges and declare the victory of God. Learn to contend for your life by speaking the Word of life. 

Memory Verse: Matthew 28:2

Decree:

Matthew 28:19-20
Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen. (italics mine)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Absalom's Treachery

Day 91 Reading: 2 Sam. 14:1 - 2 Sam. 15:37 One of life's most painful lessons is the treachery of human beings. When family or friends hurt you and leave you grieving the pain is not the same as when someone out on the street does something wrong. The pain goes deeper and it's easy to become bitter. Absalom had fled from Israel knowing that he was a wanted man for the murder and revenge on Ammon his step-brother. Joab arranged for a wise woman to go see David and get him to forgive Absalom. The wise woman made David realise that he was not setting a godly example by exiling Absalom. The wise woman made David understand that God will not banish anyone but he will seek the person out. God will do everything in His power to restore the banished person. The wise woman was asking David not to forget the grace of God that enables one to enjoy forgiveness. David gets Absalom brought back to Jerusalem however for 2 years he didn't see him. Now, this was worse than ...

Arise!!

The world today is one where many feel as though life is beating them down. The different challenges we face in this journey called life have punched many down and out. The fuel price increases, the job cuts, economic recession in different parts of the world, government changes either through the ballot or bullet, governments going broke, floods, drought, to just but name a few things facing many in the world today. It's difficult to go to a party and you don't hear bad news relating to someone you know. The world is changing. The weather patterns are affected by global warming, societal values held by previous generations are being obliterated by the ones following, and guess what, life for many is a nightmare. Today, I want to encourage that person who is lying down beaten by life. We all at times go through situations in life where we are down. It may appear that life's challenges have handed down a technical knockout blow, but humanity was not made to be beaten by lif...

From the Pit to Safety

The news about the miners rescue has filled the atmosphere with a real lever of optimism. What began as a sad tale has ended well. As I have followed this story over the last 69 days I have had a few thoughts about some of the symbolism of this whole experience. In life we all will find ourselves in a pit (mine) of some sort.Thus the decision to see what I could learn from these great gentlemen. Firstly, they were miners. Do you realise that we all are miners in life? You may not mine for copper but as a lawyer you are mining legal matters that bring you profit. You may be a doctor whose responsibility is to mine to the root of the issue that is troubling a patients body!! We all are mining for a living!!! The miners numbered 33. Jesus was 33 when He was buried. After He died He was buried before He arose. We saw 33 men come out alive. Talk about a resurrection in their lives and in the lives of the men, families, and nation. Each miner underwent change. Whilst in the darkness of th...