Skip to main content

Why Do You Seek For Jesus?

Day 264

Reading: John 6: 1 - John 7:53

The Word is able to reveal to us our failings and weaknesses. The Word also reveals our hope and the promises we have in God. I don't read the Word because I'm bored or have nothing. I prioritise to read the Word daily because it is Life. I need the Word of God in every arena of my life. Whilst reading through the gospels I have been struck by how much the people sought for Jesus. 

One particular occasion the people sought for Jesus after the miracle where He supernaturally fed 5000 men. When they found him after going to great lengths to look for Him they were rebuked. I was a startled because these people really looked for Jesus. he wasn't where they were fed or nearby. He was across the seas. They got on boats and crossed to where He was. That showed initiative and drive to be near Jesus. They were determined to be near Him yet they didn't receive a welcome but a rebuke.

As I meditated on this I began to ask myself why am I seeking for God. Is it because of the things He does for me or because I love Him? Do I hunger for God or the hand of God? Too many of us today in our prayers want God because we desire to see our needs met. Yes God does want to meet our needs however our motive for seeking Him should never be about our needs. The people had been fed with bread and instead of seeking for Jesus to meet deeper needs they wanted Him only for material things. 

Child of God, check your heart. Ask yourself why do you pray? Why do you suppose to love God? Does God know you as His lover or just another parasite? A leech only hangs on for the blood it draws. God has greater than your material supply. Don't reduce Him to earthly things. There is more, greater and deeper that God desires to reveal to you. God desires we hunger for that which is heavenly over and above that which is earthly. When our hearts are heaven bound and focussed earthly matters are handouts. Jesus was never in need. God wants us to understand that we are to operate like Jesus. He only did what He saw His Father doing. God is calling us to Himself. 

Memory Verse: John 6:28-29

Decree:

John 7:24
Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.” (italics mine)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Absalom's Treachery

Day 91 Reading: 2 Sam. 14:1 - 2 Sam. 15:37 One of life's most painful lessons is the treachery of human beings. When family or friends hurt you and leave you grieving the pain is not the same as when someone out on the street does something wrong. The pain goes deeper and it's easy to become bitter. Absalom had fled from Israel knowing that he was a wanted man for the murder and revenge on Ammon his step-brother. Joab arranged for a wise woman to go see David and get him to forgive Absalom. The wise woman made David realise that he was not setting a godly example by exiling Absalom. The wise woman made David understand that God will not banish anyone but he will seek the person out. God will do everything in His power to restore the banished person. The wise woman was asking David not to forget the grace of God that enables one to enjoy forgiveness. David gets Absalom brought back to Jerusalem however for 2 years he didn't see him. Now, this was worse than ...

Arise!!

The world today is one where many feel as though life is beating them down. The different challenges we face in this journey called life have punched many down and out. The fuel price increases, the job cuts, economic recession in different parts of the world, government changes either through the ballot or bullet, governments going broke, floods, drought, to just but name a few things facing many in the world today. It's difficult to go to a party and you don't hear bad news relating to someone you know. The world is changing. The weather patterns are affected by global warming, societal values held by previous generations are being obliterated by the ones following, and guess what, life for many is a nightmare. Today, I want to encourage that person who is lying down beaten by life. We all at times go through situations in life where we are down. It may appear that life's challenges have handed down a technical knockout blow, but humanity was not made to be beaten by lif...

Berachah

Day 126 Reading: 2 Chronicles 20:1 - 2 Chronicles 22:12 While meditating on the above portion of scriptures hope was rising within as I realised that God is indeed more than able to fight for me. I don't know what is ailing you or contending with your well being. What I know is that God is able to resolve the crisis for good. King Jehoshaphat was advised that a great army was coming to fight him. Fear gripped him and he ran to God. He summoned the entire nation to seek the face of God. While he made prayer for salvation from the enemy the entire nation including children were together fasting in prayer. He understood that in trouble one should run to God. The king didn't run to other nations to fight for him. Nope, He ran to God. Run to God always. In the midst of an entire nation seeking God, a prophet arose who declared the counsel of God. The battle belongs to God. Always remind yourself that in every battle God is with you. The prophet even instructed where...